April 28, 2024, 08:59:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: LaTex in preview  (Read 4472 times)

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
LaTex in preview
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »
Hi y'all

at times using a lot of Latex , I noticed that the respective processing only does take place when posting, but not when checking if everything was ok in preview.
As you for sure will know, LaTex is a pretty sensitive language, and a "}" more or less can ruin your day, esp. in larger expressions. Misspellings happen...
... and at times are not easy to identify and correct for.

Furthermore, every once in a while I love to look over the what I've for example derived so far, make amendments, improve expressions and ideas..
... and it's so much more comfortable to do this in plain math symbols and equations, instead of searching through a bunch of "}}} / { " , all the while trying to remember what it means and where you are

:rarrow: It would be great to be able to look over everyting before finally posting it

... and if it's not too much trouble, I would be grateful for someone looking into this, i.e. connect the processing function of LaTex expressions to the preview, too

thank you for your time and the consideration of this matter

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: LaTex in preview
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
My workaround has been to use the PM feature to message myself a snippet and verify its rendering.

Or else post & modify.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »
Lack of preview is a known problem, but it is not something easy to change. MathJax is conceptually incompatible with the way forum generates preview.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »
I usually use a site like http://www.forkosh.com/mimetextutorial.html to check my LaTeX before posting.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »
tnx for all the answers and suggestions

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links