April 25, 2024, 10:36:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to produce C6D6 in lab?  (Read 16169 times)

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: how to produce C6D6 in lab?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 07:11:43 AM »
Alternative route: if one doesn't want to synthesize the C6 ring, then one step should be completely hydrogen-free, maybe some C6X6 - be it the reactive or an intermediate - then converted by pure D to C6D6.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »
can be done...

however, who's going to pay for the sodium deuteride required to dehalogenize hexachlorbenzene?

:rarrow: Though as an academical discussion this is interesting, for real making this stuff seems like a settled question to me, and I doubt we'll come up with something better than the what already is being done in industries.

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
Not my pocket, so everything can be done...  ;D A deuterium plasma maybe? Or deuterium just hot enough?

Benzene hexachloride is a solid, and if the reaction in made in a solvent, we risk to run into the hydrogen worry again. A perchlorinated solvent instead would react with deuterium when only perchlorobenzene should, not better.

I've just seen Sigma's brand for analytical grade: "Pestanal". That one was new for me and has brought good mood for the whole day. It includes benzene hexachloride.

Here in two EU + Nato countries, I get worries by the secret services every time I write about deuterium, which is controlled because of nuclear proliferation. Does it go the same way where you guys are?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »
When halogen gets replaced by deuterium, the thingy-benzene must be isolated in much deuterium, to prevent the reaction between several C6, or even the formation of soot. Maybe warmed C6X6 can sublimate before it reacts with D2.

As an alternative to heat and plasma, could light excite the C-X bond, so it reacts with surrounding D2? C-Cl needs light at 172nm which is too close to the C6 resonance, but C6Br6 and C6I6 must improve.

Sponsored Links