June 15, 2024, 09:05:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does anyone know of a powder that sublimates to a noble gas in vacuum?  (Read 3361 times)

Offline energystar2013

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
See title. Any help would be appreciated. Much thanks.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Does anyone know of a powder that sublimates to a noble gas in vacuum?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »
There is no such powder

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline energystar2013

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »
Im trying to generate a vapor with ionizations energies similar to noble gases. Phosphorus is a viable option however for the application im using it for i dont want the vapor to settle and develop a film on any nearby surface. Can you point me in the right direction?

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
sorry pal, but the what you've written sofar sounds pretty naive to me, not to call it suicidal

:rarrow: pls. describe your project in detail, maybe we can find a "safe" solution to your problem

... and keep your hands off from elementary phosphorus + ionizing / vaporizing, else you might apply for the Darwin award successfully

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline energystar2013

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »
Thanks for your constructive reply magician4. I'd be using tiny amounts (mg) of red phosphorus at room temperature in a vacuum to try and avoid getting nominated for the coveted darwin award. Ionization would occur via electron-impact ionization, i'm trying to make an ionized cloud of vapor to dissipate surface charges, however I don't want that cloud of vapor to settle on the surface to be discharged.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:20:31 PM »
Ionization would occur via electron-impact ionization, i'm trying to make an ionized cloud of vapor to dissipate surface charges.

Why? What's the application?

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »
Im trying to generate a vapor with ionizations energies similar to noble gases. Phosphorus is a viable option however for the application im using it for i dont want the vapor to settle and develop a film on any nearby surface. Can you point me in the right direction?

Why can't you use an actual Nobel Gas?
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »
i'm trying to make an ionized cloud of vapor to dissipate surface charges, however I don't want that cloud of vapor to settle on the surface to be discharged.
if you don't cage the ions in some kind of magnetic trap or thatlike, you simply can't prevent them from doing exactly that
ions in gasphase will behave approx. like usual gas particles, except that they even repell each other much more than normal gas particles do (due to their identical charge)
so: with the usual standard free pathlength in mind  (which unfortunately will become even larger with a better vacuum) your ions will hit the wall in a New York minute, and (mostly) stay there  (delocalisation of charge density)

regards

Ingo
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links