April 19, 2024, 07:22:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to dissolve PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) in solution of LiClO4+PC  (Read 3540 times)

Offline AlbericOmer

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Hello everybody, I really have a hard time dissolving PVA in solution of LiClO4 (lithium perchlorate) initially dissolved in Propylene Carbonate(PC). I prepared the solution of LiClO4+PC, then I heated it up to 95 degrees celsius, while constantly stirring. Then I started adding slowly the PVA (Mw ~ 198,000, I also have some smaller Mw bottles of PVA). I heated/stirred like this for around 24 hors, absolutely nothing happened. Seems the PVA's quite stubborn polymer. Could anybody help me with some hints, on how to dissolve it in the above mantioned solution?

The general purpose of the dissolution above is to prepare a gel-like electrolyte for optical device.

Offline antimatter101

• Mole Snacks: +9/-26
Re: How to dissolve PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) in solution of LiClO4+PC
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
I actually have no idea how this works, because all three compounds are ionic or polar. Maybe it is because of the huge hydrocarbon chain of polyvinyl alcohol that the other two substances are insoluble. I recommend you use phase transfer catalysts such as quadternatery ammonium salts or crown ethers (like 18-crown-6) to solve this issue, though dont add too much, since PVA does have hydroxyl groups - like a lot.

I hope this helps!

Offline AlbericOmer

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: How to dissolve PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) in solution of LiClO4+PC
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 02:47:38 AM »
Hello, thank you a lot for the hints! I will try it today, see if it works. All the best!

Sponsored Links