April 19, 2024, 02:10:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of Bromine with this procedure. Possible?  (Read 10022 times)

Offline jakesh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Synthesis of Bromine with this procedure. Possible?
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:13:44 AM »
NaBr + NaHSO4 > HBr + Na2SO4 ??? or NaBr + NaHSO4 > Br2 + Na2SO4 ? or something else

If first reaction is whats gonna happen, if I added H2O2 will it oxidize the HBr to yield elemental bromine?

I did a reaction with KI + NaHSO4 and I added the solution to hydrogen peroxide which gave me iodine, and I want to get some Bromine next and I was wondering if it would work the same way.
Also does any amount of water get dissolved in bromine? If I was to do this, let it settle and extract the bromine with a separatory funnel, would I pretty much have a 99% pure sample?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:14:53 AM by jakesh »

Online Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Synthesis of Bromine with this procedure. Possible.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »
It will work. But bromine is soluble in water. Separation is possible by distillation, but its dangerous work.

Offline jakesh

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »
is it slightly soluble like iodine or fully? In different bromine synthesizing vids, I have seen that their bromine product was settled in the bottom of the jar which they collected with separatory funnel. I will be using 100-400 grams of bromine salt and working it inprobably up to 2 liters of solution. Do you still think it will need distillation? 

Vid link for reference:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=orFf-l0s1bc

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:35:41 AM »

NaBr + NaHSO4 > Br2 + NaHSO4

This equation is not balanced.

Why would you want to make Bromine? It is commercially available and relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of safe completion of it's preparstion and responsible disposal of waste products.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline jakesh

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 01:46:40 AM »

NaBr + NaHSO4 > Br2 + NaHSO4

This equation is not balanced.

Why would you want to make Bromine? It is commercially available and relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of safe completion of it's preparstion and responsible disposal of waste products.

It doesn't matter. I wrote it not for showing what I used for my stoichiometric calculations, but to simply say what the reaction will be. I also like doing chemistry so I'd rather make It.Also, reactive elements like bromine are pretty rare to find cheap.

Online Hunter2

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 01:53:39 AM »
is it slightly soluble like iodine or fully? In different bromine synthesizing vids, I have seen that their bromine product was settled in the bottom of the jar which they collected with separatory funnel. I will be using 100-400 grams of bromine salt and working it inprobably up to 2 liters of solution. Do you still think it will need distillation? 

Vid link for reference:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=orFf-l0s1bc

Solubility is 33.5 g/l

http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB7714553.htm

Offline Archer

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 02:02:31 AM »

It doesn't matter. I wrote it not for showing what I used for my stoichiometric calculations, but to simply say what the reaction will be. I also like doing chemistry so I'd rather make It.Also, reactive elements like bromine are pretty rare to find cheap.

But you have no reaction in this equation, there is NaHSO4 on both sides of the equation. What are you proposing happens in this reaction?

Denis Leary.

Offline jakesh

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 02:18:13 AM »

But you have no reaction in this equation, there is NaHSO4 on both sides of the equation. What are you proposing happens in this reaction?

Fixed, sorry I messed up that part. The first reaction is more likely too happen tho in my opinion.

Solubility is 33.5 g/l

I did the stoich and by using a pound of bromide salt and if the first reaction were to happen the yield would be up to 370 grams so not much of a loss imo if done using no more than a liter of water.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
Re: Synthesis of Bromine with this procedure. Possible?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 03:01:47 AM »

Fixed, sorry I messed up that part. The first reaction is more likely too happen tho in my opinion.

Solubility is 33.5 g/l

I did the stoich and by using a pound of bromide salt and if the first reaction were to happen the yield would be up to 370 grams so not much of a loss imo if done using no more than a liter of water.

You're also missing some electrons in your equation:

2Br-  :rarrow: Br2 + 2e-

You have to consider where these would go if you want to consider the feasibility of your reaction.

Also, what do you intend to do with 1 Lt of water contaminated with 30g Bromine? You can't just put that down the drain.

Denis Leary.

Offline jakesh

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 03:22:22 AM »

Solubility is 33.5 g/l

You're also missing some electrons in your equation:

2Br-  :rarrow: Br2 + 2e-

You have to consider where these would go if you want to consider the feasibility of your reaction.

Also, what do you intend to do with 1 Lt of water contaminated with 30g Bromine? You can't just put that down the drain.

I'm expecting those to go to the hydrogen peroxide which is my oxidizing agent for the HBr.

I've been told that sodium thiosulfate clears up bromine by turning it into harmless stuff. Lye can be used also I addume to turn it back to sodium bromide

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 07:29:32 AM »
Why would you want to make Bromine? It is commercially available [...]
Combat gas in Syria, produced by two safe reactants? Many topics go in this direction in the recent months.

Online Hunter2

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:27:05 AM »
Why do you think he want to use it for this purpose?
In this case they can fill hydrochloric or sulfuric or other toxic, etching chemicals in a grenade what also has some effect.

You can use a knife to cut something or eat dinner with it or use it as a weapon to kill somebody. Every coin has two sides.

By the way from my country some tons of sodiumsilvercyanide was delivered for plating of jewelery. Also this stuff can be used to get hydrogen cyanide gas.

And the sarin what was used was filled in a military grenade, what only countries like Russia, China and the USA produce.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »
I am always concerned when someone wants to make something as hazardous as Bromine rather than buying it when it is commercially available.

Just the safety alone should be enough to justify the cost. 100g, 0.6 mol for £30 is not expensive and it comes packed in the appropriate container etc., it's not that expensive unless you want large quantitiy (450g, 2.8 mol for £84).

When someone is sourcing 370 grams of Bromine but is not willing to pay for it, it does beg the question as to the end use.

I also like doing chemistry so I'd rather make It

This is not a particularly valid reason in my opinion.

Denis Leary.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Why do you think he want to use it for this purpose?

Per forum rules we will not help people hurt themselves. Making elemental bromine in relatively huge quantities - regardless of what the target application is - is asking for troubles.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jakesh

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 10:10:30 AM »
So as far as I know so far, the potential use of me making bromine is to harm people, that's interesting. By the way there are cheaper and safer ways to do that lol. £84 is a lot for someone like me to pay when the type of work/lifestyle doesn't leave me much money to spend for hobbys. I would still rather spend $15 instead on a bromide salt and making it myself.
Bromine is not dangerous, if you have proper safety. This isn't a radioactive or highly explosive material so I'm not sure why you worry about my own safety

Sponsored Links