April 19, 2024, 10:01:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of Bromine with this procedure. Possible?  (Read 10021 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Synthesis of Bromine with this procedure. Possible?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »
So as far as I know so far, the potential use of me making bromine is to harm people, that's interesting.

You misunderstood what I wrote. It is not about harming others, it is about harming yourself. If you have no proper training and no proper lab equipment producing bromine is dangerous, period.

Bromine is not dangerous, if you have proper safety. This isn't a radioactive or highly explosive material so I'm not sure why you worry about my own safety

It is highly reactive and poisonous, that's enough. It will easily eat its way out of many containers, it will easily seep through many caps/lids, and once it is in the wild, it will not hesitate to burn you to death.

There are plenty of cheap and interesting experiments that are much safer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »

Bromine is not dangerous, if you have proper safety. This isn't a radioactive or highly explosive material so I'm not sure why you worry about my own safety

Unfortunately accidents happen, I have seen professional chemists hospitalised through spillages of Bromine. Even though they were following a standard procedure for it's propper handling.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline jakesh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 12:52:04 PM »
So as far as I know so far, the potential use of me making bromine is to harm people, that's interesting.

You misunderstood what I wrote. It is not about harming others, it is about harming yourself. If you have no proper training and no proper lab equipment producing bromine is dangerous, period.

It is highly reactive and poisonous, that's enough. It will easily eat its way out of many containers, it will easily seep through many caps/lids, and once it is in the wild, it will not hesitate to burn you to death.

There are plenty of cheap and interesting experiments that are much safer.

Yes but unfortunately those cheap and interesting experiments don't yield bromine.
I have proper equipment that bromine isn't corrosive to. I also have ampoules to store the end product in. Plus this js the safest method that I have came up with. All others involved distillation to condense the bromine which I don't want to go through. But If you have safer alternatives to yielding bromine like that, I'd love to hear it

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 03:25:44 PM »
Sorry, you have not convinced us you have a reasonable reason to make elemental bromine, and the substance itself is way too dangerous to be prepared at home. It is not the procedure that is not safe, it is product that is dangerous. I have no choice but to lock the thread.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links