April 18, 2024, 09:51:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Issues with alum crystal growth  (Read 1972 times)

Offline S. Voorhees

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Issues with alum crystal growth
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »
I am a chemistry student experimenting with Alum crystals and I am unsure of what my next steps should be. The first time we attempted get seed crystals and fell short only to have a layer of crust around the edge of the beaker. We then tried again and supersaturated the solution more than the previous time and received seed crystals. I have since placed my seed in solution and experienced slight growth. I am curious as to what my next steps should be for maximum crystal growth.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Issues with alum crystal growth
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
Google: alum crystals youtube
AWK

Offline A.Schwerha

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Issue with alum crystal
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »
I am a high school chemistry student attempting to grow alum crystals. I have tried multiple attempts to grow my seed crystal, however have experienced difficulty with each attempt. Twice my seed crystal dissolved into my solution, and on my third attempt my solution turned into a slush and left large chucks in my beaker. I currently have two solutions, one that is undersaturated, in which two of my seed crystals have dissolved, and one that continues to turn to slush although I have added water to the solution and reheated the beaker. I am unsure of how to balance my solution so that it is more saturated than my first beaker, however not so much that it turns into slush. What should I try next?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Issue with alum crystal
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
Search youtube
AWK

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Issues with alum crystal growth
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »
Say guys, I've gone and merged this two identical threads, because help for one, will likely help the other.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links