March 29, 2024, 01:39:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bonding  (Read 1450 times)

Offline KAJLogic

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Bonding
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:50:19 PM »
There are a couple of things I wanted to double check with you find gentleman. So my professor gave me this sheet for find the bonds. So we get to KrF2, so the sheet tells you to just add the d orbital so the valence would be
10+2(8 ) = 26

My first question is why do we now just ignore the s&p orbitals seems like if we are going to need hybridized orbitals s&p are inevitably going to be involved.

My next question is how does fluorine even bond with d sense each orbital has two electrons which should meet its mathematical limit.

so they do this and obviously get 2 bonds and 9 lone pairs.

EDIT:

Just checking back I would also like to say that I am using THIS still I just thought that the answer for this might not have to do with hybridized orbitals also I am still very much digesting all that information. But anyways, I think I have the answer so what happens is fluorine causes the d orbital to essentially loose two of its electrons and instead bond with fluorine's electrons. Then my question becomes do these electrons go into krypton's 5s orbital?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:01:18 PM by KAJLogic »
Everything I will say on this forum is done in the hopes that if someone reads it and has a critique or a correction they will aid me by letting me know.

Offline KAJLogic

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Bonding
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »
I see it was read 54 times do I have to word it better?
Everything I will say on this forum is done in the hopes that if someone reads it and has a critique or a correction they will aid me by letting me know.

Sponsored Links