March 28, 2024, 03:15:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Van der Waals Interactions  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Ximena

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Van der Waals Interactions
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »
Are Van Der Waals interactions considered to be bonds?
I have to make an essay of just one side of A4  in which I have to explain the chemical bonds with examples, but I just don't know if I should write the VDW interactions, also considering the fact that I don't have much space left to give examples.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Van der Waals Interactions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
from a viewpoint of physics, each interaction releasing energy is to be considered kind of a "bond" inbetween particles

in chemistry however, we only tend to call something a "bond" that fixes the geometric relation atom(group)-atom(group) , and "stays" there.
... which VDW interactions don't do: they're permanently broken and reestablished elsewhere

so, if I was in your shoes, I'd mention those effects, but would call them "weak interactions" and point out, that they're in the ballpark of 50 - 100 times weaker than 'normal' bonds.

regards

Ingo
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:49:56 PM by magician4 »
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links