April 27, 2024, 04:42:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question on Dalton's Law... see post...  (Read 4797 times)

Linkums

Question on Dalton's Law... see post...
« on: February 28, 2006, 10:53:18 AM »
Ok, I'm in this independent study Chemistry II thing in High School, so there's really no teacher, just out of a book. But don't worry, I'm not just asking for you to teach it to me...

I understand that Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures means that if there is a volume of multiple gasses, you can add the pressures of each gas to find the total pressure or subtract the others to find the pressure of just one gas, that's rather simple, and I understand all that. That's just the heading of the section I'm doing so I don't know what else to call it. All the stuff so far in this chapter was hard enough to remember and I think this just pushed my brain past the limit...

Here's an example problem and I'll explain my problem after:

A gaseous mixture consists of 6.91 g of N2, 4.71 g of O2, and 2.95 g of He. What volume does this mixture occupy at 28 degrees C and 1.05 atm pressure?

Ok, well I'm guessing that you have to convert the grams to moles as always, and C to K... but what do I do next? I've been using the ideal gas law ( PV = nRT ) as of late, but I don't exactly know how to use it here. Help would be appreciated... and sorry if this was posted somewhere else, I didn't see it, but sorry if it is.  

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Question on Dalton's Law... see post...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 11:01:25 AM »
Ok, well I'm guessing that you have to convert the grams to moles as always, and C to K... but what do I do next? I've been using the ideal gas law ( PV = nRT ) as of late, but I don't exactly know how to use it here. Help would be appreciated... and sorry if this was posted somewhere else, I didn't see it, but sorry if it is.  

Just add numbers of moles of all gases.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Linkums

Re:Question on Dalton's Law... see post...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »
Just add numbers of moles of all gases.

Oh wow! That's it? Thanks! I can never get the simple things...

Sponsored Links