April 19, 2024, 08:27:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Balance repair  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Snap

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Balance repair
« on: October 10, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
Hi, I just registered here hoping someone might be able to give me some help.

I've got 2 old Ohaus Precision Advanced balances.  One worked fine a few months ago, although now it does not seem to start up properly. The only thing is has done since that time is sit stored in a drawer.  It turns on, and there is a non-numerical sliding scale on a portion of the screen that will go up or down depending on if there is a weight on the scale at start-up. This is the only type of feedback I am able to get from the device.  I am unable to change modes, tare, or enter into any option screens/menus.  I can only seem to turn this balance on and off, and get the variation in this 'bar' at start up. No error messages, unless I remove the sample plate and turn it on, in which case I am given error 9.6, which the manual calls a "Bad mode checksum." I assume this is merely because it expects the sample plate and is not finding it.

The 2nd balance is worse off.  I removed the cover, and the balancing apparatus seems to be held together in several spots by small flat copper 'springs'.  These are strips of thin metal that are very very thin between the parts they are connecting, and thicker where they are screwed in place.  Several of these 'springs' are broken, whereas they are unbroken in the other device.  I am not sure if these are springs, or perhaps fuses of some sort.  All I know is that the unbroken ones are springy, very thin in the middle, copper colored, and non-magnetic.

I would ideally like to find a way to repair both balances, or if not, to at least get one of them working again.  I'm pretty low budget, so unless they are serviceable for under $50, I need to find a way to repair them myself.

Sponsored Links