April 23, 2024, 12:55:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: My first "total" synthesis of a molecule  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Altered State

• Mole Snacks: +24/-4
    • Chemistry Hall
My first "total" synthesis of a molecule
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »
Hi there, I'm in third course of chemistry and since I love organic and the way I consider I learn more is when I research about how can I do any transformation, I've decided to do a "project" on my own to find a synthetic route to get a compound from comercialy available reactants. This have nothing to do with my classes, I'll work on this just in my free time, to learn, practice and of course, for fun.
Obviously I won't work in anything that is not already discovered, I'm just a 3rd year student for now.
But I don't have a clue about what molecule is a good one to mark as objective, so I come here and ask you for proposals.

What do I know? I studied alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, haloalkanes, alcohols, ethers, epoxides, conjugated and aromatic systems, amines, ketones/aldehydes carboxylic acids (and derivatives), alpha to carbonyl chemistry, difuncional compounds, nitrogen chemistry, and from now I'm gonna study S, P and Si chemistry, then heterocycles anf inally by December, carbohydrates, nucleic acids and aminoacids, peptids and proteins.

It would be nice if its something I could do with all this knowledge. I don't care if it requires a bit more, because learning is one of the objectives of this, but I don't want to put the cart before the horse.

Let's hear your opinions about this.
Regards, and thanks in advance

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: My first "total" synthesis of a molecule
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
Do you cooperate with one of your teachers? When I went to my thesis supervisor to ask about the topic I did chose he asked me if I wanted to do some additional lab work for him. So I did 5-step reaction and got a compound Im using now for my thesis (He didnt have time to make any use of it lol  ;D ) so you might ask one of your teachers if they accept students for this kind of work. Its better than working alone because:
a) you will have target molecule
b) it will be useful for someone
c) they can suply you with some articles to get any idea why you are doing this (and how to do that)
d) you can easily consult if something isnt working
and obviously e) your supervisor will talk with others that you are interested in topic and they migh offer you payed part time jobs in lab >:D
From my experience it doesnt realy matter what you had studied so far. I didnt have any clue about macrocycles when I started.

Offline Altered State

• Mole Snacks: +24/-4
    • Chemistry Hall
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
Do you cooperate with one of your teachers? When I went to my thesis supervisor to ask about the topic I did chose he asked me if I wanted to do some additional lab work for him. So I did 5-step reaction and got a compound Im using now for my thesis (He didnt have time to make any use of it lol  ;D ) so you might ask one of your teachers if they accept students for this kind of work. Its better than working alone because:
a) you will have target molecule
b) it will be useful for someone
c) they can suply you with some articles to get any idea why you are doing this (and how to do that)
d) you can easily consult if something isnt working
and obviously e) your supervisor will talk with others that you are interested in topic and they migh offer you payed part time jobs in lab >:D
From my experience it doesnt realy matter what you had studied so far. I didnt have any clue about macrocycles when I started.

Well, thanks for the idea, but even if it was possible to do that as undergraduate to do that, I'm afraid I wouldn't have time to spend extra-hours on laboratory, and even less to compromise with someone, (I live about 60km away from where I study). And is because of that I only want to do something "in paper", not in lab. Dont get me wrong, it would be really nice to actually do it, but I don't see the way how I could manage to be able to do that.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »
Ah.. I thought you want to do it in a lab  ;D

Sponsored Links