April 26, 2024, 10:27:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extracting a certain poppy alkaloid?  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Halalporkshop

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Extracting a certain poppy alkaloid?
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:51:11 PM »
This is my first post on Chem Forums after some lurking. My knowledge of chemistry is very limited but it does interest me to learn more.

Note: I'm not actually doing any of this, it is purely for educational purposes.

Suppose one were to try and extract morphine from a few kilograms of unwashed poppy seed. From what I can gather, one could yield up to 500mg of morphine per kilogram of unwashed seed.
I will outline a hypothetical step by step, I could use input from more experienced chemists.

1. Mix seed in water in a large container and shake vigorously to free alkaloids from the outside of the seeds. (Should I lower the pH of the water with lemon juice if the ultimate goal is to get morphine?)

2. Strain seeds from water to obtain a solution containing morphine and various other alkaloids. Do I need to boil off the solution if there is a lot of water?

3. Should I add Calcium hydroxide to convert morphine into water-soluble Calcium Morphenate? (If C. Hydroxide is used, should one skip the lemon juice in step 1?) Strain again to remove insoluble particulates.

4. Add Ammonium Chloride until pH of solution is 8.5 to allow Calcium morphenate to precipitate. Strain off liquid to leave behind a crude morphine base.

5. Add Hydrochloric acid to yield Morphine hydrochloride. How much hydrochloric acid is needed per the weight of the morphine base and how dilute should it be.

Any help or better method is appreciated. I hope I have not broken the rules. Remember this is all hypothetical.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Extracting a certain poppy alkaloid?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:54 PM »
Hypothetically, I think your post may get moderated.  ;D

Offline Halalporkshop

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:26:12 PM »
Could you tell me how I can change it to fit the rules?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »
Could you tell me how I can change it to fit the rules?

I'm only being hypothetical, so don't worry.

Offline Halalporkshop

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:42:13 PM »
You don't have to be a dick about it. I know people talk about drugs on this forum and I just want to know the hoops I have to jump through to get help.

Offline Halalporkshop

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 11:44:56 PM »
Apparently morphine precipitates at 9.1 pH. Can I just do the wash with lemon juice and precipitate with Calcium Carbonate?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 02:37:39 AM »
You don't have to be a dick about it. I know people talk about drugs on this forum and I just want to know the hoops I have to jump through to get help.

Being rude will not help your case. We talk about drugs on the forum, but out of scientific interest. What we do not do is discuss ways of preparing illegal substances in your bathtub or talk about self medication with the afore mentioned substances.
So I am afraid you may not get many more answers to your question.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 03:06:07 AM »
We are not going into specific procedures, regardless of how many times you will repeat the world "hypothetical".

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links