April 26, 2024, 02:32:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Quick question about ortho/para  (Read 5368 times)

Offline treadlightly

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Quick question about ortho/para
« on: October 17, 2013, 12:43:45 AM »
I have phenyl acetate undergoing nitration. It is supposedly going to add NO2 at the ortho and para position, but should I expect any ortho products? Is the acetyl group in phenyl acetate big enough to prevent any ortho products from forming?
A little insight as to why would definitely be helpful =]
Thanks!

EDIT: Phenyl acetate: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Phenyl_acetate.svg/512px-Phenyl_acetate.svg.png

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Quick question about ortho/para
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »
usually, ortho/para regioselectivity is something most difficult to predict: steric factors are not the only game in town
additionally, we at times observe a high dependency of the very fines of reaction conditions. For example, a reaction showing a certain distribution o/p might have a totally different distribution when changing temperature or solvent

however, there is the rule of thumb that with not too much sterical hindrance (and no other factors like neighboring group effects involved) , you usually will get more o than p product.

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »
however, there is the rule of thumb that with not too much sterical hindrance (and no other factors like neighboring group effects involved) , you usually will get more o than p product.

To agree with the first part, anisole give the para product on acylation.

I don't try to predict o/p ratios because they can change as Ingo noted, I prefer to look them up.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »
You would get ortho as a minor product (probably very small percentage) and the major product would be para.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:51 AM »
You would get ortho as a minor product (probably very small percentage) and the major product would be para.

In my experience of electrophillic substitutions para predominates but this is only my exprience, I don't routinely nitrate aromatic compounds so I couldn't possibly comment on this particular reaction.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Sponsored Links