April 29, 2024, 02:48:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Starting equipment.  (Read 5009 times)

Offline meiryousa

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Starting equipment.
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »
I've always had an interest in Chemistry and just recently decided I will teach myself some Chemistry. I've taught myself Japanese, Chinese and Computer Science. I hope I can have just as much luck with Chemistry. I'm waiting for the textbooks I ordered to arrive in the mail.

Anyways, my question revolves around what essential equipment should I focus on getting first? I found what seems to be a reasonably priced glassware set. Here is the link:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/deluxe-chemistry-glassware-labware-kit/p/CE-KITDLX/

Also, in terms of supplies what sources do you recommend?

Thank you.

Online Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +168/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Starting equipment.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:18:45 AM »
I think to do experiments at home is in nowadays not a good Idea. You don't have a hood with exhaust and also no waste water treatment. The other difficulty is to get chemicals. Since a day in September 2011 its almost impossible for private person to buy chemicals or the guys in black suits and sunglasses have an eye on you. In which country do you live?

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:30:42 AM »
I think to do experiments at home is in nowadays not a good Idea. You don't have a hood with exhaust and also no waste water treatment. The other difficulty is to get chemicals. Since a day in September 2011 its almost impossible for private person to buy chemicals or the guys in black suits and sunglasses have an eye on you. In which country do you live?

So defeatist and unfamiliar with the home science culture.  A ventilation system is easily rigged up, organic/solvent waste is easily mixed in with paintthinner type waste and taken for disposal.  Metal waste fits with photo chemical waste and can be disposed properly as such.  And chemicals are all over hardware stores, ebay, and amazon these days.  Stay away from drug or explosive precursors, don't piss off the neighbors, and don't tell chemophobes and you will be fine. 

As for OP: Get some basic glass, and buy chemicals as you need them for experiments.  The kit looks decent for glass for a newbie.  Say you are going to make chloroform, pick up some hypochlorite and acetone, etc. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:58:59 AM by Borek »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:07:35 AM »
As moderator for this Citizen Chemist board I support home science.
But, I want you to really make sure you keep safety in mind.

You do not state what country you are in or
if you are in the USA what state you are in
Some states in the USA restrict glassware possession
and some chemicals are more restricted based on location.

It may be best to wait until you get your books and then plan you glassware and hardware needs around the experiments you selected.

The links below may give you ideas as to what hardware and glassware you may want
http://www.elementalscientific.net/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=38
http://www.elementalscientific.net/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=35
The above links list hardware and glassware based on the book
"Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments" by Robert Thompson

Again
Think safety and think it in advance
Ventilation, protection, first aid, fire safety etc

Advanced chemistry may need special environments but just starting off there is lots to do without the need for extensive preparation.
For instance
crystal chemistry
dye chemistry
titration
and more

Look at the sticky threads at the beginning of this Citizen Chemist forum
Although some of the content is old and I should do some editing there are gems of information there
Also if you search the entire Chemical Forums you may get other ideas

Be Safe
Bill

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
organic/solvent waste is easily mixed in with paintthinner type waste and taken for disposal.

You need to consider the safety aspect and disposal of everything that you are doing before you start doing it.

For example it is important to remember that waste halogenated solvents and waste non-halogenated solvents should NEVER be mixed. They should be stored in separate containers and disposed of separately.

There are other incompatibilities which can occur, I have seen the destruction that occurs when undergrad students have inadvertently poured X into a bottle containing Y, a fume hood was destroyed. By the grace of God no one was standing by it when it happened but several people were admitted to hospital with cuts and burns.

X and Y, by the way, were two materials which can be either purchased or made following internet / youtube instructions.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »
I think home science is great, provided it's done safely. In addition, I think it's best you try to educate yourself on theory and concepts before attempting home experiments.  This will reduce the chance you do something unsafe, and will also help you learn concepts you read in a book.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline trond65

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 03:35:53 PM »

>> Also, in terms of supplies what sources do you recommend?

Local general stores may be a great source. I am bit surprised
about the purity of things like caustic soda.

Small amounts of chemical I get through ebay. Unless you
buy something "nasty"  it should not be a problem.

Offline meiryousa

• Very New Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice in regards to safety. I am not a 14 year old who thinks doing some home chemistry would be cool because I watched some Breaking Bad. Right now I am just looking at doing some basic distillations/fractional distillations and recrystallization.

I just want to do some basic stuff while I learn the theory. I'm interested in purifying and separating mixtures. I'm considering in 2015 or 2016 fall going to university to study Chemistry if my interest is still strong. In the mean time I just want to learn as much as I can because I have a genuine interest and because if I do go to university hopefully I can have a head start. Even if it's small stuff like having the periodic table memorized, valence charges etc memorized that they'd make me do.

I live in New Brunswick, Canada.

Offline trond65

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »

Unless you want a degree, some paper about your skill e.t.c I would not
waste my time at a university.

Interest, internet, books, enough time and money is the key. 

I live in Europe. If you could afford it, there no problem getting equipment
or chemicals unless you start ordering some "nasty" stuff.

Ebay may be your best option for chemicals. Unless they have some special
laws in Canada, getting equipment should not be difficult.

Sponsored Links