April 26, 2024, 04:54:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Water bends when charged object is near  (Read 1943 times)

Offline guayguay

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Water bends when charged object is near
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
Why is it that when a charged object is near a stream of water (polar), it causes the stream to bend towards the object (attraction) instead of bend away (repulsion)? I know why the water bends, but why does it not REPEL instead?

I did some research and it has something to do with electrostatic force which I don't understand. Thanks!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Water bends when charged object is near
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:53 AM »
Think how charges get relocated in the water stream (draw it).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Kate

• Mole Snacks: +8/-3
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
The water molecule is a dipole, due to differences in electronegativity between oxygen and hydrogen and because it has an angular geometry.

I don't know why it attracts instead of repelling, although I'd guess it has something to do with being more energetically favorable. Since water is a liquid, the energy of breaking hydrogen bonds between the molecules and rotating might be less than the energy released when opposite charges come together.

Just an idea.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
one of the poles of a magnet always is attractive to a different "monopole"

if you allow the magnet to rotate freely (which water is allowed to do), sooner or later you'll find that it will arrange in an attractive geometry with respect to the monopole, and get closer (if it can)

that's what it's all about

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links