April 28, 2024, 08:03:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reading line notation in electrochemistry  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Khemikooligan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reading line notation in electrochemistry
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
Okay, I get basic line notation and can turn a basic line notation into a cell's two half reactions, but I am doing a practice test for Achem to study for an upcoming test and there is a half reaction where one side is listed as Pt(s) / Fe(NO3)3(aq), Fe(NO3)2(aq) and I am not sure how to write this reaction. I am pretty sure Fe is being oxidized because the other half reaction is Ag being reduced ( AgNO3(aq) / Ag (s) ) but I am not sure why both Fe species are on the right side of the line in the notation. Is this a typo or can anyone explain to me what the reaction is?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Reading line notation in electrochemistry
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »
If you have Ag(s) and AgNO3 on the other side, there are both species as well - why does Fe(III)/Fe(II) pair disturb you, but Ag(I)/Ag(0) doesn't?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Khemikooligan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »
If you have Ag(s) and AgNO3 on the other side, there are both species as well - why does Fe(III)/Fe(II) pair disturb you, but Ag(I)/Ag(0) doesn't?

I figured out how to write the reaction after thinking about it, but the reason I was confused was because the Iron species were both aqueous and there wasn't a line between them like with the silver species. I was thinking maybe the comma between the iron species was a typo and there was supposed to be a line between them. Also the idea of electrons being transfered to/from the iron and silver species through a platinum electrode threw me off but it made sense after thinking about it. I was just used to seeing the electrodes being of the same element as that in solution.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:58:34 AM »
Inert electrodes are quite popular, all they do is they serve as a charge transferring device. Ag electrode can be inert, but sometimes (like in Ag(0)/Ag(i)) system) can be a part of the redox system involved in the reaction.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links