April 29, 2024, 12:49:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Household combinations  (Read 5344 times)

TAz69x

Household combinations
« on: April 14, 2006, 05:54:28 PM »
I was wondering what mixtures or substances can be made with these household chemicals:

5% Hydrogen Peroxide
Medicinal Iodine diluted
Drano regular
Isopropyl Alcohol
Clindamycin in Duonalc skin treatment liquid mixture (one bottle, from the store)
Chlorhexidine Gluconate
and Aluminum Foil

I was testing some combinations outside today, and the best I could see was just a few interesting things happening, although I have no idea what yet.

A mixture of hydrogen peroxide (hp) with drano produced a quick-acting white foam which was produced

Iodine mixed in drop-by-drop with hydrogen peroxide, the iodine droplets seemed to violently dissolve into the hp, leaving a slowly browning-solution that increasingly darkened with each additional drop

If the iodine was added to the hydrogen peroxide + drano foam, the foam somewhat violently fizzled away
Isopropyl alcohol added to this mixture seemed to produce the same effect on the foam

Anyways, I was wondering what interesting things can be produced with these household items.  Thanks for you *delete me*
Also, if there's any other interesting combination of household items you can add, please feel free to do so.  You can also list any cautionary measures which you think prudent if you wish with the corresponding mixtures.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 05:56:26 PM by TAz69x »

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Household combinations
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 01:30:36 AM »
Try adding some washing detergent to the hydrogen peroxide then add the iodine. It should foam everywhere. Just be careful with the peroxide and iodine. Wear gloves and safety glasses, long sleeves, trousers and boots. Have some water handy to wash chemicals off with.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 06:19:14 AM by mike »
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Household combinations
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 11:40:08 AM »
Iodine stains things. We used it in school once. My hands were brown for a few weeks. The iodine you have is mixed in with an alcohol probably. Iodine is practically insoluble in water, but if it's an iodine salt like KI then it would be soluble in water.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links