March 28, 2024, 12:33:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A Molecule With a Similar Molar Mass as CCl4?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Bazinga11

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A Molecule With a Similar Molar Mass as CCl4?
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
I need to find a molecule that has a similar mass as CCl4 but it can't be another non-polar molecule. PCl3 was the closest I could get it but had a lower melting and boiling point. I need to prove that a polar molecule with a similar molar mass will have a higher melting and boiling point.

Thank you

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: A Molecule With a Similar Molar Mass as CCl4?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:47:32 PM »
what kind of proof is this, when by looking up the properties of PCl3 you already did fasificate the original assumption ?

yes, your might find molecules of MW very near to CCl4 , like for example n-undecane (which is more polar than CCl4, though not very polar yet in a general, absolute sense), that would support your claim. However, there also are those that contradict your claim, and that was that: your claim is meaningless in a general sense, as it's being falsified by reality.

"polarity" is not the only game in town...

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: A Molecule With a Similar Molar Mass as CCl4?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
try POCl3  :)

Sponsored Links