April 20, 2024, 12:30:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Andrews' Titration  (Read 22907 times)

kemistrykid

Re:Andrews' Titration
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 10:28:01 AM »

Here is the descripition of the experiment:

Oxidations using the iodate ion (IO3-) give iodine-containing products in differing ocidation states depending on the conditions. In dilute acid, IO3- and I- react in a 5:1 ratio to give I2. In the presence of a large excess of Cl-, (in the form of moderately concentrated HCl), the iodine-containing product is I+, in the form of ICl2, and the reaction ratio differs. Such titrations are know as Andrews' titrations.

Now, I have to work out that reaction ratio (I think its 7:1), and I also have to work out the half-reaction for the tetrathionate/iodate reaction and the overall equation.

It turns out that the results I got for the qualitative results were wrong. Upon adding barium chloride, I should have got a white precipitate, which is a sign that SO42- is present. In the second test, nothing happens, thus showing conclusively that SO42- is present.

I think the half-reaction is something like this:

S4O62- + 7IO3- + 26H+ -----> 4SO42- + 13H2O

I think its balanced...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 10:39:03 AM by kemistrykid »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 11:16:40 AM »
Well, if you take EBAS and play long enough you may find something like

2S4O62- + 7IO3- + 7Cl- + 2H+ -> 8SO42- + 7ICl + H2O

but whether it is the reaction you are looking for - I have no idea. And somehow I doubt, as tetrathionate seems to be stable enough to be not oxidized further in analytical solutions, that's why thiosulfate is used in many analytical methods.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

kemistrykid

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 11:47:01 AM »
Actually I've just found the answer. The reaction is:

2S4O62- + 7IO3- + 14Cl-+ 2H+ ----> 8SO42- + 7 ICl2- + H2O

Very similar to what you suggested. The key thing here is that overall, S is being oxidised to +3, but is reduced to +3 from whatever oxidation state S is in in S4O62-. :drive1: :ph34r:

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 12:06:34 PM »
Very similar to what you suggested.

IMHO they are identical - ICl/Cl- and ICl2- is analogous to I2/I- vs I3-.

The key thing here is that overall, S is being oxidised to +3, but is reduced to +3 from whatever oxidation state S is in in S4O62-.

We have discussed very similar problem in HS forum tonight. There are two different kinds of sulfur with different oxidation numbers in this compound. +3 is average and has nothing to do with reality (not that oxidation numbers have anything to do with reality ;) ).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

kemistrykid

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 05:48:44 PM »
IMHO they are identical - ICl/Cl- and ICl2- is analogous to I2/I- vs I3-.We have discussed very similar problem in HS forum tonight. There are two different kinds of sulfur with different oxidation numbers in this compound. +3 is average and has nothing to do with reality (not that oxidation numbers have anything to do with reality ;) ).

lol true!

Sponsored Links