April 25, 2024, 11:02:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Inorganic or Organic?  (Read 3876 times)

Offline hayhay33

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Inorganic or Organic?
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
I'm doing some planning for my next 3 and a half years of undergrad. I'm majoring in Chem and Physics and looking at doing a dual-degree program through another university to get a UG degree in Chemical Engineering. I need to pick 2 of 3 of these course: Adv Organic Chem, Adv Inorganic or Adv Biochemistry.

Which will be most beneficial for me?

Thanks

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Inorganic or Organic?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
It's like me asking you what would be better for me to purchase: SUV or sedan.  Answer: it depends on what I plan on doing with my car. 

What are you interested in? What are your career goals? These are the kinds of questions that will determine what is the most appropriate course for you to take.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 01:17:58 PM »
It depends on what you want to do but I think that orgchem and biochem is best way to go. Im studing inorganic chemistry and all of work done in deparment of inorganic chemistry are coordiantion compounds with organic ligands and their biological activity or magnetic properties are studied.

Offline hayhay33

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »
It's like me asking you what would be better for me to purchase: SUV or sedan.  Answer: it depends on what I plan on doing with my car. 

What are you interested in? What are your career goals? These are the kinds of questions that will determine what is the most appropriate course for you to take.

Going into chemical engineering, at the moment I want to work on problems like renewable energy or the freshwater shortage....Things that will help the world as we run out of the necessary natural resources we rely on.

So designing mechanisms to recycle waste water or a cheaper desalination process, or using human waste as energy.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »
[
or using human waste as energy.

How would you collect it centrally?

Offline eazye1334

• Mole Snacks: +18/-1
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »

Going into chemical engineering, at the moment I want to work on problems like renewable energy or the freshwater shortage....Things that will help the world as we run out of the necessary natural resources we rely on.

So designing mechanisms to recycle waste water or a cheaper desalination process, or using human waste as energy.
Honestly, I wouldn't fret too much over which to take. Everything is likely to have its positives and negatives. At this point, choose what sounds more interesting to you. Remember, learning doesn't stop once you have your degree; just because you didn't take a specific class as an undergrad, it doesn't mean you can't pick up the appropriate subject matter later.

Case in point: I never took inorganic chem of any kind, and now that's approximately all I work with.

Sponsored Links