April 25, 2024, 03:57:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Firework Night coming up  (Read 6548 times)

Offline Ballistic

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Firework Night coming up
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:18:21 AM »
Firework Night coming up

Has anyone got any ideas on a few interesting things to do on firework night? I mean a little more advanced than just sparklers, for a science teacher led situation. We've got the whole store cupboard at our disposal!

I was thinking, is there a fairly easy way to replicate one of those candles that shoots sparks out of the top? for example.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Firework Night coming up
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
Most interesting things that you could do would violate the forum rules if we discussed them.

“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Ballistic

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
Oh carp. Never thought about fireworks on the forum until now.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
I had an accident with a kinda-homemade-pyrotechnics once and thus cannot recommend it.  I'm lucky I still have both my hands.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »
talking about fireworks... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »
talking about fireworks... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

regards

Ingo

All pollution issues aside, show me a chemist that would not have loved to roll that into the water!
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Ballistic

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 09:10:36 AM »
What a waste!

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »
Was there no buyer of Sodium in the 1940's? I find it a bit surprising their statement that no one would transport it. Surely far worse material gets transported? No?

Are Sodium consignments transported these days or does the need never arise?

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »
What a waste!
that's the army for you...
however, you ain't seen nothing yet: these days, they order airplanes and bring them right to the scarpyard from right out of factory, as they discover they don't need them nor are willing to pay for their maintenance, should they discover that they'd better had them, later on.

was there no buyer of Sodium in the 1940's? I find it a bit surprising their statement that no one would transport it. Surely far worse material gets transported? No?
sounds somewhat fishy to me, too, esp. as they obviously had been able to transport it to Lake Lenore (and I doubt that their former storage had been in vicinity).
however, there are bookkeepers ... see above ...

regards

Ingo
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:44:56 AM by magician4 »
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
however, you ain't seen nothing yet: these days, they order airplanes and bring them right to the scarpyard from right out of factory, as they discover they don't need them

Which story? That sounds so bizzare I almost can't believe it. Have a link?

sounds somewhat fishy to me, too, esp. as they obviously had been able to transport it to Lake Lenore (and I doubt that their former storage had been in vicinity).

My suspicion was this stuff may not have been entirely Sodium. If there was other nastiness mixed in it, the disposal might make sense.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »
Which story? That sounds so bizzare I almost can't believe it. Have a link?
either the last or the last but one "Realtime" on HBO ... panel was talking 'bout military being that stuffed, they refuse more money for equipment these days ..
and they were pretty serious about that bit, giving the story with the airplanes as one of several examples

I think they relayed to this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/07/new-air-force-cargo-planes-fly-straight-into-mothballs/

regards

Ingo
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Ballistic

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »
How about something homemade like this, I was thinking chop up a load of small pieces of Mg Ribbon and sprinkle it on some cling wrap dipped in rubbing alcohol to make a cluster of small MG fires all over the sheet. Something real basic like that. Nothing to blow my hands and arms off!

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »
Nothing to blow my hands and arms off!

nice try with Mg / alcohol !

however : Mg + 2 ROH  :rarrow: Mg(OR)2 + H2 [itex] \xrightarrow {\Delta \ , \ air}[/itex]  BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

(not exactly like in my movie, but still impressive, believe me )

regards

Ingo
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Ballistic

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
Hmmmmmmm, well I guess there is a risk with making up ideas at random, but this is why I'm scratching my head asking for ideas. Apparently, even  a load of monkeys would type the works of Shakespeare if you give them long enough! I've exploded on the first try!

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
I am going to lock this
We are just spiraling into forbidden territory
@Ballistic
contact me via PM if you want about the lock
I assume you have read forum rules and mean well
but we are just operating on the edge with a good chance of falling off (if we have not already)
bill

In any case BE CAREFUL
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:24:01 PM by billnotgatez »

Sponsored Links