April 25, 2024, 08:00:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nonionic surfactant for HPLC-UV  (Read 3514 times)

Offline IK

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nonionic surfactant for HPLC-UV
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:31:31 AM »
Dear All,

I want to identify a pure non-ionic surfactant using the HPLC-UV method. Most of the non-ionic surfactants that can be used for UV detection are the commercial non-ionic surfactants such as Triton X-100 and tweens. I have not been able to find a pure non-ionic surfactant that will give me one peak rather than several peaks.

Is there a pure non-ionic surfactant that can be identified using the HPLC-UV method?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Nonionic surfactant for HPLC-UV
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »
You seem to be running the process backwards.  Typically, we select a detergent for its other properties, then try to develop a good method for analyzing it via HPLC-UV.  Often a detergent won't have a good absorbance in the UV, and we'll resort to MS, or ion chromatography.  What have you tried so far, and what exactly is the problem?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline IK

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:41:25 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I am trying develop a method on the HPLC to determine protein and surfactant from different mixed protein and surfactant samples. I have chosen bovine serum albumin as my protein and now trying to select a non ionic surfactant which can be detected using the acclaim 120 c18 column I have. I only have a UV detector available in my lab.

I have tried triton X-100 surfactant and get several peaks instead of one making it difficult to calibrate.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
I can see what you mean, this reference here: http://www.dionex.com/en-us/webdocs/87422-PO-HPLC-Surfactant-Analysis-08July10-LPN2525-1.pdf confirms that Triton-X does appear as multiple peaks on reverse phase HPLC.  However, I don't see why this is a calibration problem, can't you just use the sum of the areas of the multiple peaks, taken from a pure sample, for calibration.  I can't view this reference, so I don't know if it gives one peak: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16242286
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline IK

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »
Thank you. the article give one peak for triton x-100 using different solvents.

Sponsored Links