April 29, 2024, 12:16:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TLC questions  (Read 7191 times)

Offline Benzoic Acid

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • I'm a benzene ring with a carboxylic substituent!
TLC questions
« on: March 02, 2006, 10:50:26 PM »
   A TLC plate showed two spots of Rf 0.25 and 0.26. The plate was removed from the developing chamber, dried carefully, and returnted to the developing chamber. What would you expect to see after the second development was complete?

-Would the Rf values double if it were placed into a developing chamber twice? The only bad thing that I'm aware of, which comes from exposing the plate to air, is the evaporation of the solvent...

Why might it be very difficult to visualize the separation of cis- and trans- 2-butene by thin-layer chromatography?

I have no idea on this one, I seached my lab book twice and it doesn't even mention steroisomers, or isomers of any kind with regards to TLC.

thanks  ;D

hereafter

Re:TLC questions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 09:04:04 PM »
Trans and cis is really hard to seperate. I have the same problem to deal with. Now I am thinking florisil column. Does anybody know what's the difference between florisil and silicon gel about purification?

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:TLC questions
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 03:10:45 AM »
Florisil is less polar than silica gel.  Alumina is another alternative solid phase: it is more polar than florisil, but less polar than silica gel.

A nifty trick for separating olefin isomers is to use silver impregnated silica gel.  A couple of people in my lab have used that and had great results.

Sponsored Links