June 17, 2024, 12:28:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CuCl2-2H2O when put near magnets decreases the magnets' mass  (Read 2253 times)

Offline guayguay

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
CuCl2-2H2O when put near magnets decreases the magnets' mass
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
Why is it that when CuCl2-2H2O is put near magnets it decreases the magnets' mass? I believe oxidation state is involved but what is the link between it and mass of magnets and magnetism?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: CuCl2-2H2O when put near magnets decreases the magnets' mass
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:17:19 PM »
I've never heard of this phenomena, and it seems illogical.  Can you give us the entire procedure?  copper chloride ... how, as a crystalline solid or as a solution?  The mass disappears how -- less actual mass, or weaker magnetism.  And why just magnets?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »
must have something to do with dark energy, which, as a well known fact, has the property of anti gravity, virtually reducing the mass of test bodies thereby ...   ;D
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline guayguay

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »
Well, it's copper (II) chloride dihydrate in a container. When it's place above (not touching) a stack of magnets resting on a scale, the mass goes from 0g to -0.___g or something. The magnet is being attracted and pulled up for sure, that's why the mass decreases, but I can't seem to explain why since copper is diamagnetic right?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:33:39 AM »
First of all - get your physics right. It is not the mass that decreases, it is weight as measured by your scale that decreases.

What kind of container? Have you checked if putting empty container in exactly the same position doesn't change the result?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 06:37:08 AM »
Try the same with NaCl and sugar and report back your findings.

Sponsored Links