April 19, 2024, 12:53:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Will my reaction still work???  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Lynda92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Will my reaction still work???
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:39:36 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I put on a sonogashira reaction today. Reaction mixture was in a sealed vial degassed with nitrogen. But I did such a silly thing! I forgot to add the base.  :(  The reaction took place in a microwave for 1hr. LCMS results showed starting material was still present before I added the base. I've now just added the base but will the reaction still work??? catalyst- Pd(PPh3)4 ,CuI

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Will my reaction still work???
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
It may still work but writing the experimental section will be interesting so it would be prudent to repeat the experiment even if it's on a very small scale.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Lynda92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »
It may still work but writing the experimental section will be interesting so it would be prudent to repeat the experiment even if it's on a very small scale.

I really hope it works  because I don't have any more of one the starting materials to repeat the reaction again- I used the last batch in this reaction :(

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
I would expect the outcome to be either complete, partial or no reaction. I doubt that any unusual or unexpected reaction products will be produced.

If it doesn't work at least you can recover the starting material and try again. If a partial reaction occurs then you could recover some of the starting material for another try.

Best of luck.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Sponsored Links