March 29, 2024, 11:40:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is this phosphonium ylide giving ~100% E product?  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Altered State

• Mole Snacks: +24/-4
    • Chemistry Hall
Is this phosphonium ylide giving ~100% E product?
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »

I have this phosphonium ylide, and it reacts with an aldehyde (propanal) to undergo wittig reaction.

I know that stabilized ylides give E product, and this is kinda stabilized but the only examples I saw in textbooks or notes, cover alkenes stabilized by carbonyl groups, aromatic ring resonance... And even in some of those cases, the reaction doesen't yield 100% E alkene (e.g. 90:10), and this is logical because wittig reaction is stereoselective, not stereospecific.
What do you think about this case? Maybe 90:10 E:Z? Or lower E %? Maybe even more Z product than E?

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
Re: Is this phosphonium ylide giving ~100% E product?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »
NEVER 100 Percent.  Maybe close.  Study Horner-Wadsworth Modification……..might help your understanding a bit better.
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline Altered State

• Chemistry Hall
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:57:58 PM »
NEVER 100 Percent.  Maybe close.  Study Horner-Wadsworth Modification……..might help your understanding a bit better.

Yes, I know that, never 100%, but what I want to know is what would be the case for this particular kind of allylic phosphonium ylides. What would be major product, E or Z?

HWE reaction involves a particular kind of stabilized ylide, so the reaction yields E alkene as major product, but this is not the case...

Offline Altered State

• Chemistry Hall
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »
Anyone has a clue on this?

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:08:41 AM »
I think your question is too specific.  I atleast cannot for sure predict the outcome of that particular reaction.  The Wittig reaction is a great reaction but can be limited in its use.  The addition of a methylene group is how most often the Wittig is employed.  Most will use Horner-Wadsworth for strictly E conversion.  In your case I would look at Schlosser modification.  This maybe a better way for you to convert to the diene you would like.

Also, you would most likely do a Witting using the conjugated aldehyde.
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline Altered State

• Chemistry Hall
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:52:50 AM »
I think your question is too specific.  I atleast cannot for sure predict the outcome of that particular reaction.  The Wittig reaction is a great reaction but can be limited in its use.  The addition of a methylene group is how most often the Wittig is employed.  Most will use Horner-Wadsworth for strictly E conversion.  In your case I would look at Schlosser modification.  This maybe a better way for you to convert to the diene you would like.

Also, you would most likely do a Witting using the conjugated aldehyde.

Yes, there may be few better ways to obtain that kind of dienes.

Maybe I have not made myself clear enough, I'm not trying to yield a certain compound, I'm trying to predict the result of that reaction.

The whole problems is:
First Ph3P reacts with 3-bromoprop-1-ene, and then deprotonation with n-BuLi to get the ylide.
Finally we make it react with propanal to yield an alkene.

I'm expected to explain stereochemistry of the final product, and even when I know why stabilized ylides yield mostrly E product and unstabilized ones Z product, can't tell if this yilide, being not as stable as, for example, an α-carbonyl ylide, but way more stable than a simple alkane-ylide, would yield mostly E or if it would be something like E:Z = 60/40, or maybe mostly Z...

Maybe it's still a very specific question, in that case, I guess an explanation like this would work.
Wish I had acces to a lab to try it out :(
Running some experiments would make it clear.

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
Ahh ok, I apologize.

I believe this will proceed to a major product of a Z alkene.  When a ylide is stabilized it is by either lithium salts added to the reaction (SChlosser) or because a electron-withdrawing group is present to stabilize the ylide.  I do not think that an alkene alone is electron with drawing enough to allow for strictly E conversion. 

A phenyl group being present does allow for E, so it stands to reason my statement above could be wrong.   I do not speak in absolute truths Mr. State, but that is my reasoning to your question. 

If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline Altered State

• Chemistry Hall
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
I do not speak in absolute truths Mr. State, but that is my reasoning to your question.

And so is mine, thanks for feedback.

Sponsored Links