April 27, 2024, 12:18:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: where does water's IR stretch appear?  (Read 10261 times)

Offline tdod

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
where does water's IR stretch appear?
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:02:03 PM »
I know pure water shows up at 3650, but what about when water is an impurity in the product (i.e. phenyl ketone). Is it realistic for water to stretch as low as 3300 or as high as 3850?

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
Re: where does water's IR stretch appear?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »
Perhaps use a condensing column to separate the individual species…..run them each on an NMR, and see what you get.  Honestly, thats the way I like to approach problems such as this in a manner which starts at its elemental parts, and builds to a solution…(just perhaps).  Just my .02.  Check for averages, and concurrent unit shifts (PM me if you would like further explanation on that…..how my Chem PhD mentor taught me…..not hard, but wordy…..makes the most sense IMO). 
            -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: where does water's IR stretch appear?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
Because of hydrogen bonding, the OH-stretch of water is very broad.  Unless you do something to narrow the peak, it's probably unlikely you will be able to detect a shifts due to impurities using IR spectroscopy.  Maybe not impossible, but it will probably be hard.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links