April 27, 2024, 07:44:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Valid method or not?  (Read 3928 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Valid method or not?
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »
I have an isotopic exchange equilibrium,

(12C)2(13C)2H10 + (12C)(13C)3H10  ::equil:: (12C)3(13C)H10 + (13C)4H10

I tried working out K for this by using natural abundances, and ended up with 1/6. But is this right? It forces a certain value of ΔG° on the reaction...

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Valid method or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
I tried working out K for this by using natural abundances
Elaborate, please.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »
If we take the case

(35Cl)2 + (37Cl)2  ::equil:: 2 35Cl37Cl

And let x be the natural abundance of 35Cl and y of 37Cl. Then the fractional abundances of these isotopologues in nature's equilibrium is x^2 for the first reactant listed, y^2 for the product and 2! * x * y (2! due to permutations) for the product.

Then K = (2! * x * y)^2 / (x^2 * y^2) which as you see reduces to K = (2!)^2 = 4.

Firstly I'd like to know if I've applied the same method correctly to this new equilibrium. Secondly I'm wondering whether this is actually a robust way of working out something like K which leads to ΔG° for this reaction, and if not what the problem is.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:14:28 AM »
If you took pure 35Cl and pure 37Cl and mix them together in a sealed container, what makes you think that the amount of product has anything to do with what the natural abundances of these isotopes are?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »
Well, nature should be at or extremely close to equilibrium, right? Why not?

We discussed this problem once before, with respect to the Cl isotopic exchange. Link is here: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=67802.15 Wherein it was noted I should have pointed out that I'm using natural abundances (have done so here). There was a point made that the chemical equivalence of the isotopologues leads to 0 enthalpy changes (which is relevant for this but probably not necessary if you use natural abundances to calculate K as I have).

Can the same logic be safely extended to this larger/more complicated equilibrium?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:54:46 AM »
I can't see how natural abundances have anything to do with this.

I could be wrong.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
Me neither. Natural abundances are the products of countless chemical and physical equilibria. I'm not sure how (and why) you'd try to pigeonhole that into determining the thermodynamics and kinetics for a single reaction. It really makes no sense to me. And we've apparently been down this road before, which I had forgotten.

EDIT: And most importantly, the other thread should have established that the equilibrium constant (standard thermodynamic properties) for a process do NOT depend on the amount of reactants or products available at the starting point. 

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
Me neither. Natural abundances are the products of countless chemical and physical equilibria. I'm not sure how (and why) you'd try to pigeonhole that into determining the thermodynamics and kinetics for a single reaction. It really makes no sense to me. And we've apparently been down this road before, which I had forgotten.

EDIT: And most importantly, the other thread should have established that the equilibrium constant (standard thermodynamic properties) for a process do NOT depend on the amount of reactants or products available at the starting point.

I hadn't forgotten. This felt like deja vu.

I feel bad because you had given some pretty neat and detailed explanations clarifying this the last time. This seems a repeat all over.

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »
I haven't forgotten. I took careful notes the last time.

As curiouscat acknowledged in Reply #15, it is accurate to use natural abundances and say K=4 for the chlorine exchange equilibrium in that thread.

Why would that not be the case for this equilibrium, when it was for the Cl one?

And most importantly, the other thread should have established that the equilibrium constant (standard thermodynamic properties) for a process do NOT depend on the amount of reactants or products available at the starting point.

Yes but nature is at equilibrium presumably, not at a starting point?

If not then why is the logic correct/why did you (plural) accept the logic for the chlorine example? I quote curiouscat: "I just read the IChO problem. Nothing wrong with that problem at all." when the answer is K_x=4 for the chlorine example as deduced from natural abundances?

Surely K cannot take a different value in nature as opposed to in the lab, if we assume the same average temperature.

Sponsored Links