April 28, 2024, 11:43:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Kb of a buffer with 2 []  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Vicktor

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Kb of a buffer with 2 []
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
I am stuck, I have tried to research a little but the only thing I ever find is the actual answer and not the work done to find the answer.

I am supposed to be calculating the pH of 3 different buffered solutions. I can do that, but I am confused on the beginning because it gives me;

.50M C2H5NH2 / .25M C2H5NH3Cl

I know in a buffered solution, the Cl is basically eliminated because of the very small effect of the element. But, I can not begin to start working on this equation because I have no idea on where to start for Kb. I know I am supposed to show work before you help, but all I need is a direction to start and I should be good. Not looking for the actual answer.

-Thank you! Vicktor.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Kb of a buffer with 2 []
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
I suppose that you're expected to do the search for the Kb of ethylamine all by yourself

Wikipedia , as usual, might be worth a look...

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Vicktor

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, but that seemed a little out of the ordinary considering the normal methods my teacher is accustomed to. But, I wanted a second opinion from someone who knew what they were talking about. I appreciate it!

Thank you, Vicktor.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
if the additional informations given to you don't include a way to calculate the pKb you need thereof, then to me this seems to be the only option remaining, as without a pKb, and only with the concentrations given, you can't calculate nothing

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Vicktor

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »
Thank you Ingo, You were correct. My professor actually brought this up in lecture, saying don't worry about it this time, because she didn't let us know that was what was needed. (I know this sounds very high-school like, but she had told us at the beginning of the semester that EVERYTHING she assigned, we would be able to solve with no other references.)

But, once again, Thank you!

- Vicktor

Sponsored Links