April 28, 2024, 10:57:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Equilibrium Constant for Synthesis of Acetyl Salicylic acid from Salicylic acid  (Read 4810 times)

Offline duubs

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Does anyone know a place where I can find this value? My Reaction is

Salicylic acid + Acetic Andhydride  ::equil:: Acetylsalicylic Acid + Acetic Acid
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:39:34 PM by duubs »

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
Well…….Measure concentrations, Do an ICE chart (Initial, Change, Equillibrium).  Boom…..theres your answer :).  Being spoon fed answers will NOT help you in O-Chem.  Trust me, I had to re-LEARN (not memorize) a lot on my own!!!!!!!!!!
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline TwistedConf

• Mole Snacks: +10/-2
How about an educated guess of what kind of number it might be?  Have you actually run the reaction?  Do you know anything about the reactions of anhydrides vs. acids and other derivatives? If you can answer these questions, an actual specific value is of little practical consequence.

Offline zsinger

• Graduate Chemist
Yes, actually I have done this reaction.  I do not feel a need to flex my knowledge upon those who don't believe me.  I see these reactions take place in a University Lab with all reagents (When you work in a lab, naughty reagents that you can not get are available such as anhydrides).  The reason the govt. hates Acetic Anhydride, in particular, is because of its one step synthesis to heroin from Thebaine, as well as many other drugs.  Those extra "CH3" groups make drugs MUCH MUCH MUCH more fat soluble (I.E. able to pass blood brain barrier).  Look it up on google……I'm sure SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has done it.
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline zsinger

• Graduate Chemist
To Be Fair though……ASK SPIROCHETE…….I've never seen anybody with that amount of practical organic chemistry knowledge!!!!!  I thought I was good.

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
I have no ideal what the exact Keq for this reaction is. I don't know where you'd find this specific information, maybe the CRC handbook of chemistry and physics?

We can use first principles to say whether the reaction will have a K>1 or less than one, however. Which side of the equation has a hotter electrophile? Does the mechanism make more sense written in the forward or reverse direction? The direction that involves booting out the best leaving group will be the direction that the equilibrium favors.

Also, common knowledge in organic chemistry shows that one side of the reaction includes an acetylating agent. That's a more specific way to think about it.

Sponsored Links