April 25, 2024, 11:16:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enzyme kinematics and pipetting technique  (Read 4057 times)

Offline GoGoGadget

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Enzyme kinematics and pipetting technique
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »
I am trying to figure out whether if imprecise pipetting of an enzyme of which you are trying to determine its Km and Vmax become affected or not or which do? I'm not sure how you would be able to find this out...

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Enzyme kinematics and pipetting technique
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 03:04:27 AM »
Could you please provide your understanding of what Km and Vmax relate to.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
It might also be worth asking what factors affect the rates of enzyme-catalyzed reactions in general.  You must show an attempt to solve the problem first; that is a forum rule.

Offline micromelissa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »
I could imagine that improper technique could result in different Km and Vmax values. Afterall, isn't the rate of the reaction dependent on the substrate concentration? (improper pipetting could alter your concentration). I just asked a question on Enzyme Kinetics in the forum. You should take a look at it. Hope that helped. Thanks..

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:49:26 AM »
I could imagine that improper technique could result in different Km and Vmax values. Afterall, isn't the rate of the reaction dependent on the substrate concentration? (improper pipetting could alter your concentration). I just asked a question on Enzyme Kinetics in the forum. You should take a look at it. Hope that helped. Thanks..

Please read the two previous responses to this thread.

We haven't provided the answer, not because we don't know but because it is better to have the poster work it out for themselves through prompting them to think rather than simply providing an explanation immediately which they can cut and paste into their assignment.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »
But your initial post is not about pipetting substrate; it is about pipetting enzyme.

Sponsored Links