April 18, 2024, 12:52:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrochemical cells  (Read 1714 times)

Offline xenonp

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrochemical cells
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
Say I want to find the E value for Mn3+ + 3e- > Mn
I have been given E values for Mn3+/Mn2+ and Mn2+/Mn
Why can't I just construct two half (reduction) equations, combine them, add the E values and get the correct E value for the first reaction I mentioned?

Instead I have to calculate -nFE for both of the latter half reactions, add them and solve for the overall E value.

When do you have to use this? Only when you are combining two oxidation / reduction reactions as E is not equal to E(reduction) - E(oxidation)?

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: Electrochemical cells
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:33:01 AM »
I actually never thought about this but it looks like the right thing to do: when you work out electrochemical problems you are actually using Gibbs' free energies (which are additive) and the usual relationship ∆G=-nF∆E is applied.

No one assures you that Es are additive too (and apparently they're not) so what you have to do is convert them to free energies and then go back to the E or ∆E value needed.

When you have a redox reaction the only reason to use ∆E is that the reactions are coupled so nRed=nOx and the two methods give you the same answer (you can easily check it by yourself).
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Sponsored Links