April 18, 2024, 07:19:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Titration Practical: How to see if the indicator has reached its end point?  (Read 6784 times)

smilie_hugs

Hi there. I'm having trouble doing my chemistry pratical and would like to seek help from all of you.  :unsure:

For the chemistry practical, titration, we can use a wide range of  ???r, however, every type of indicator gives us a different colour and the result for the end point [neutral] is different. So how do you know if the colour you get is the one you want?

For example, if we were to use methyl orange as the indicator, the end point is light orange [I think so, not very sure, Pls. correct me if I'm wrong], however, this is not the same for screen methyl orange. I'm also having trouble telling which colour is which as the colour of methyl orange is very close to light orange. So is there any method to improve this?

I have tried titration for many times but the answer I got was always incorrect. Please help me. Thanks  

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
What are you titrating?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

smilie_hugs

Well, I'm titrating acids and bases.  

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Then use an indicator that has its color change at around ph 7. So that when the acid is neutralized you can tell by color.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

smilie_hugs

well, okay. But the porblem lies in that we were not allowed to choose the indicator we want. It is given in exams.

Sponsored Links