April 24, 2024, 05:22:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Air on earth in closed system?  (Read 6343 times)

barntz

Air on earth in closed system?
« on: February 28, 2006, 06:08:55 PM »
Is the air covering the earth constant (a closed system) or does it's oxygen remix with the oceans? What I am trying to answer is the following question: If each breath we exhale contains roughly 10^20 air molecules, and they spread out over the whole earth, are we breathing some molecules of Aristotles exhaled air? According to my very rough calculations, if all air were in a closed system, each breath we take would contain thousands of molecules of Aristotles (or whoevers) oreviously exhaled breath. Assuming he breathed for say 50 years.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Air on earth in closed system?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:32:26 PM »
I'm not 100% sure if I'm answering your question right, but oxygen and other gases are constantly entering the oceans and leaving it. Plants and algae (or any other autotroph) are taking in CO2 and H2O, and with light, they are producing sugars. This releases O2. Those sugars that are produced get broken down by the plant or whatever happens to eat it and becomes CO2 and H2O again, usually with the aid of O2.

There is a constant cycle over oxygen through different things like bodies of water, animals, etc. All of the O2 would in theory stay within the Earth's atmosphere, but be passed around in different "forms". It is though theoretically possible that some of the air that Aristotle be breathed in by you though.

The "air" on Earth has, for the most part, been around since the dinosaurs.

I hoped I helped to answer your question.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 03:23:44 AM »
I would wonder about nitrogen and argon. The oxygen and carbon dioxide would probably been recycled by this time.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 10:14:06 AM »
What most likely is true is that the atoms which make up your body once made up the feces of the dinosaurs.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links