March 29, 2024, 09:22:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Theory and Hypothesis  (Read 5926 times)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Theory and Hypothesis
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:38:25 PM »
Is the statement below correct? Can we make it better and still be as concise?

The difference between a theory and a hypothesis is this: “A hypothesis comes before any research has taken place and isn’t necessarily based on fact. It’s an educated guess. A theory is what evolves after the research has been made and there’s been conclusive evidence to support it.”

savoy7

Re:Theory and Hypothesis
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
billnotgatez,

at one level the statement that you've made could be considered correct.  Two phrases in the statement motivated me to reply.  
1)  "before any research has taken place"
2)  "conclusive"

1)  In your statement you said that an hypothesis is an educated guess.  How is it an educated?  The education comes from previous research.  The research may be ones own or from literature review.  For example, if I want to test an hypothesis that the average nitrate levels at a stormsewer outlet are different (a two-way) or higher (a one-way) than that of the means from different locations on a lake, I need some previous data.  The previous data would allow me to design my experiment (the number of replicates, the power, and my type I error, etc) to test that hypothesis.  I find that by answering one hypothesis, I create a new hypothesis or hypotheses.  In a sense, research begets research.  Reading literature is a crucial part to this entire process.

2)  "conclusive" is a big word to use in science.  It means final or decisive.  Science can rarely be 100% correct, there is always a chance for error.  It can be statistically significant, but save conclusive for the lawyer tv shows.  There are theories that have been found to be wrong.  There are several theories out there for the same phenomenon.  A theory arises from several consistent and reproducible experiments.  In some sense a theory is living.  It expands and contracts as more and more research is done on it.  Hopefully, if the research was done correctly, the "true" answer will found within its boundaries.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re:Theory and Hypothesis
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 10:09:03 PM »
savoy7 and all –
I also have trouble with the item you identify as #1. On the other hand conclusive to me meant conclusive at the time. The statement I posted (from another source) is only a few sentences and you posted paragraphs. Can you help me get it back down to a few sentences?
Regards,
Bill

« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 10:21:22 PM by billnotgatez »

Sponsored Links