April 28, 2024, 11:12:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sequence color changing flame  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Fe$phi

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
sequence color changing flame
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »
Hi how would i go about making something for recreational colored flames
all i could think of is somehow covering a log in the salt that burns a certain color, but i don't know if that would last like 10 seconds and then all the salts would be burned off and i would just have a normal flame so how would i mix the salts with something that would keep fueling the fire and also have a colored flame, would charcoal help?
after i figure that out how could i organize it so that it could burn in a sequence and show different flames at different times as oppose to all at once?

Offline sophotect

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
Re: sequence color changing flame
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »
You need to quantify more... How long do you want x to burn & what specific color do you want it to be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrotechnic_colorant

Also, keep in mind that solids & liquids don't burn, only gases. So anything already formed will only burn that color until the surface is gone. Your fuel source is going to need homogeneous composition of a mixture that can release enough gas to keep the flame going as well as have enough gaseous ions (hot salt) available to color the flame. As well as mechanical strength, shape to resist exploding.

Maybe you could try salt-impregnated charcoal biscuits.

I get many of my chemicals here: http://unitednuclear.com/

The person who takes responsibility on his shoulders isn't likely to have a chip there.

Offline Ballistic

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Re: sequence color changing flame
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:13:16 AM »
I just checked that link you posted and they actually have an interesting set of "campfire" colours.

Sponsored Links