April 27, 2024, 07:06:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Recommended Heat Source For Experiments  (Read 2879 times)

Offline nicknow123

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Recommended Heat Source For Experiments
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:03:05 PM »
I'm relatively new to home chemistry, and I've done a few experiments. Most of it was little home experiments like creating your own potassium nitrate or trying to purify carbon. I have a small set of glassware and other necessities, but I don't have a proper source of heat for more intensive projects. My most powerful source of heat is a refillable butane torch, and while it is hot enough, it does not provide enough heat. Recently I have been trying to melt oak wood ash to get potassium metal through electrolysis, but so far the ash seems near invincible. Are there any good heat sources I should get for my set-up that can provide the power I need for under 150$? Any help is greatly appreciated.  :)

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Recommended Heat Source For Experiments
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:37:26 AM »
Look up the temperature needed to melt wood ash, I believe it is in excess of 1250°C.

I am not sure that standard affordable bench top heaters will get that hot.P
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:48:13 AM »
trying to purify carbon

Care to elaborate?

to get potassium metal through electrolysis

Melting the solid is the least of your problems. And somehow I have a feeling you have no idea what you are really trying to do. Preparing molten potassium through electrolysis is not an easy task, and taking potassium reactivity into account practically impossible in a typical home setup.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »
@nicknow123
I have a small set of glassware and other necessities, but I don't have a proper source of heat for more intensive projects.
As part of your home set up, what have you in the line of safety equipment?
I assume if you have a heat source you have fire safety equipment.

Offline nicknow123

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »
Yes, I do have fire safety equipment. Depending on the intensity of my project I usually wear splash goggles and or welding gloves. I generally perform experiments far away from any flammable objects in a fire pit or other stone/steel surface. I also keep a fire extinguisher and hose in the nearby area, should things sour. I also get that the heat I mentioned may not be feasible within my price range. What would be the optimal source of heat for such a project, money disregarded? I'm not trying to be stupid, and I apologize for any unintended ignorance. I just thought this was a cool experiment to try out; if my home lab is really completely incapable regardless of circumstance, then I will move onto something else.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:25:52 PM by nicknow123 »

Sponsored Links