April 20, 2024, 10:16:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: physical/biophysical  (Read 2924 times)

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
physical/biophysical
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:20:35 PM »
I took a "Biophysical" Chemistry class... my question is, should I review other material or am I prepared for graduate school with this background? Here is the thing... our biophysical chemistry class is very rigorous.. harder than the regular physical chemistry class. The course covers all of the physical chemical topics and then adds in biochemical stuff in the end (such as biochemical energetics, enzyme kinetics, etc which isnt covered in a normal pchem class). For example, for the first semester the topics covered were: equations of state, first law of thermodynamics, second and third laws, chemical equilibrium/electrochemistry, phase equilibrium, biochemical equilibrium, kinetic theory of gases (molecules in motions), gas kinetics, and enzyme kinetics. The book used was "Physical Chemistry"- Atkins 9th edition. "Biochemical Calculations" by Segel was used as a supplement for the additional topics such as biochemical equilibrium and enzyme kinetics. Does this background suffice? I also took a second semester quantum but I'm just using the first semester as an example. Most people view biophysical as a "watered down" class but our class was very rigorous and used a physical chemistry book and covered the topics in depth in addition to biochemical topics so I just want to make sure this is a sufficient background. Any feedback and insight appreciated!!

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
Re: physical/biophysical
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:25:29 PM »
I should also mention, it is crosslisted with the graduate thermodynamics course. I think you have enough information now!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: physical/biophysical
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »
I also took Biophysical Chemistry, basically because my School allowed me to take it, instead of taking Physical Chemistry and Multivariable Calculus.  I found Biophysical Chemistry challenging enough, but after my graduation, the more aggressive course plan was the requirement.  Of course, real Chemical Engineering and Physics majors take many more semesters of P. Chem.   Furthermore, they take Thermodynamics, sometimes as many as 4 (!) semesters of it.  And they take Calculus beyond Multivarible.  Which results in concepts I can barely imagine.  So it really does depend on your future plans.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:06:37 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links