April 23, 2024, 08:26:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Few Reaction and Glassware Questions  (Read 3085 times)

Offline xx0numb0xx

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Few Reaction and Glassware Questions
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »
First and foremost: Will this method of generating nitric acid work?
4Ca(NO3)2 + 8HCl  + 2Cu :rarrow: 4CaCl2 + 2CuO + 8NO2 + O2 + 4H2O
Gases forced into water or hydrogen peroxide solution
H2O + 3NO2  :rarrow: 2HNO3 + NO
H2O2 + 2NO2  :rarrow: 2HNO3

It apparently works with NaNO3 KNO3 and NH4NO3, but I'm having trouble finding any results of attempts with Ca(NO3)2. The reason I want to do the reaction with calcium nitrate is because I can purchase twice the mass of calcium nitrate for the same price as potassium nitrate, yielding more than 1.7 as many nitrate ions.

Second: This one is more of a compound of two questions. I've been trying electroplating of copper. However, the only acid available to me has been hydrochloric acid. I made a CuCl + CuCl2 solution by adding oxidized copper wires to hydrochloric acid. I also added hydrogen peroxide to speed the process up. I used no stoichiometric ratios; I just let the reaction go until it stopped. Anyways, I tried using this solution as the electrolyte for electroplating copper onto several different base metals. It would never adhere. The one time I managed to get it to adhere was when I was plating it onto a US nickel (25% nickel, 75% copper) as a cathode, and I had to agitate the solution almost violently. At all other times, it looked like I was depositing a loose mixture of Cu2O and CuO that would come off when shaken and expose the base metal upon contact with anything. I've tried using currents from tens of milliamps to 8 amps with the anode and cathode always having ≤ 12 volts across them. The first part of this question is why does this happen? I understand that copper is pretty low in the activity series, but I didn't think that mattered when a flow of electrons was forcing the reactions to occur. I even tried plating copper on copper (my actual intention wasn't plating here; it was making a copper crystal as a decoration). The copper was deposited onto a copper cathode in what was like a reef of Cu2O. When agitated, it would fall apart. When rubbed, the bare copper cathode was exposed with no signs of any permanent deposition. On top of that, the copper anode became covered in a white precipitate that would fall off when agitated. The second part of this question is: what could this precipitate possibly be?

Third and final question: I'm looking into buying some real glassware instead of using water bottles, plastic buckets, and kitchen glassware. What are some good sizes and quantities to start out with for beakers and flasks? Also, what's a good glassware supplier that's fairly reasonable with their prices? I'm not looking for extremely high quality glass that will withstand ten thousand kelvin, one hundred atmospheres, and hydrofluoric acid. Something that can hold molten tin, not explode before the stopper pops off when pressure is increasing, and not corrode after a couple years of use with hydrochloric, nitric, and sulfuric acid would be perfect.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Few Reaction and Glassware Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:50:02 AM »
To your second question: what was pH of your electroplating solution? Have you attempted to purify the copper dissolved?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xx0numb0xx

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »
To your second question: what was pH of your electroplating solution? Have you attempted to purify the copper dissolved?
The pH is probably pretty low because I highly doubt that the hydrochloric acid would completely react with the copper. I've boiled off some of the water (while probably decomposing some hydrochloric acid in the process), but it's a pain in the butt to remove the water from several gallons of solution. I currently have no way of accurately checking the pH.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:24:23 PM »
for glassware you might try the sticky at the beginning of the forum
I should check it again and update it but maybe you will find something

Keep in mind you need safety equipment as well

Sponsored Links