April 29, 2024, 01:54:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sunlight efficiency and solar panel problem  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Peppersrule

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sunlight efficiency and solar panel problem
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
Hello

I was working on an assignment question and I was wondering if somebody can check my work. The question is:

The best solar panels currently available are about 15% efficient in converting sunlight to electricity. A typical home will use about 40 kWh of electricity per day. Assuming 8 hrs of useful sunlight per day, calculate the minimum solar panel surface area necessary to provide all of a typical home's electricity. (Assume also the sun supplies energy at a rate of about 1.0 kilowatt per square meter of surface area)

So far I have:

Energy the home requires per day: (40 kWh * 3600 kJ)/1kWh = 144000 kJ per day

Considering the panel's 15% efficiency, the amount of energy needed for conversion is: 960,000 kJ
So, energy to be converted per hour is: 960,000 kJ / 24 hrs = 40,000 kJ/h

I am unable to proceed from here as I'm unsure of what to do. Your assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Sunlight efficiency and solar panel problem
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 03:00:43 AM »
So, energy to be converted per hour is: 960,000 kJ / 24 hrs = 40,000 kJ/h

No - you will be not converting energy for 24 hours a day, but just for 8 hours a day (which means you have to store it somehow, but it is not part of the problem).

1 m2 collects 1 kW - how much energy can it collect per hour? (You will have to assume 100% efficiency here, as you already took care of 15% earlier).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links