April 20, 2024, 06:47:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Antistatic solution for vinyl records  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Mustang Guy

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Antistatic solution for vinyl records
« on: November 11, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
I have been tasked to find the best solution for cleaning and preserving vinyl records (copolymer of vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate). It has been theorized that the intense electrostatic buildup holds microscopic particles deep withing the grooves which cannot be chiseled out with a diamond slylus!  Indeed, when you try to clean a record, it gets dirty as you are cleaning it due to static charge and airborne dust. There are some recipes for antistatic coatings which look promising, one of which is C25H53O5N3 (CAS 2764-13-8). I have found 3 producers of this formula, but am having difficulty finding a supplier of snack sized portions to experiment with. Any ideas where I can get a 1 liter or less of any of the following: Cyastat SN, Antistatico KN, or Dantistat SN?

Perhaps there are other antistat agents which would work better, however I like the idea of a rather durable, minutely thin, and water/alcohol soluble chemical all while having lubricating properties. My MAIN concern is not damaging the record or in any way degrading it's sound.

Any help would be appreciated by audiophiles around the world! Here is one of the threads concerning the project.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145942-the-best-way-to-clean-preserve-vinyl/page-3#entry1665712

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Antistatic solution for vinyl records
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
The proper place for an antistatic agent would have been in the vinyl... but it's too late.
The second best place would be the inner sleeve where you store the vinyl. The usual paper is a bad choice, it should better be conductive.

Your "CAS 2764-13-8" returns many suppliers. ReagentWorld delivers lab quantities.

The compound looks like a soap. Did you try soap instead? The bad liquid ones that are hard to rinse away. Diluted with much distilled water for car battery.

Sponsored Links