April 28, 2024, 10:44:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electron Transport Question  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Cooper

• Mole Snacks: +2/-5
  • Undergraduate Biochemistry Major Class of 2015
Electron Transport Question
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:22:37 PM »
Hi,

My question is about complex 2 of the electron transport chain. I've read that "the free energy for electron transfer from succinate to CoQ is insufficient to drive ATP synthesis"...but I am confused about what that really means.

ATP's are not directly synthesized via the complexes so I am confused as to why the free energy change matters. Isn't the only thing that matters the electrochemical gradient set up across the inner mitochondrial membrane? So isn't the reason complex 2 is insufficient to drive ATP synthesis merely because it does not span the membrane and thus is incapable of transferring protons across?  ???

Thanks,
Cooper
~Cooper :)

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Electron Transport Question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »
ATP's are not directly synthesized via the complexes so I am confused as to why the free energy change matters. Isn't the only thing that matters the electrochemical gradient set up across the inner mitochondrial membrane?
How do you think you form the electrochemical gradient?  Where do you think the potential energy to do that comes from?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:07:36 PM »
What's the context for that statement?  Perhaps it's just explaining why the electron transfer reactions don't directly power ATP synthesis and why the cell has evolved a more complicated scheme involving an electrochemical gradient.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
Do you know what the balanced equation is for complex II and how it differs from the other three complexes?  Could you calculate the free energy of the reaction if given the appropriate half-cell reduction potentials.  I don't think that the issue of spanning the membrane or not has anything to do with it.

Sponsored Links