April 20, 2024, 10:19:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fixed residue in filtered water  (Read 2879 times)

Transistorio

Fixed residue in filtered water
« on: November 23, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »
Hi, I'm interested in water filters and water quality. I'm curious about fixed residue in filtered water and bottled water (I heard that mast of bottled water are just tap water). Water I drink daily has fixed residue about 260 mg/l, but what is fixed residue of filtered water? I could drink tap water, which has to contain a lot of minerals (when I boil it, the limescale occurs) and I know that drinking demineralized water isn't good for health, but I'm little afraid of tap water. Why? Because it smells chlorine and doesn't taste good. Probably tap water, when it leaves city's water supply, is quite good quality, but then it has to come through pipes to my tap. So anyone knows about fixed residue in filtered water?

P.S. Sorry for my english.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Fixed residue in filtered water
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »
Depends on filter, depends on water.

It is not like every tap water is identical. Regulations do put some limits, but they don't say nothing about exact composition, they typically just say "no more than xxx of XXX, no more than yyy of YYY, pH between this and that" and so on.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links