April 16, 2024, 01:40:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Good books for Recrystalization Techniques  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Hayao

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Good books for Recrystalization Techniques
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:50:30 AM »
I didn't know where to start this thread, but I want to know a good book for recrystalization techniques or book that includes recrystalization techniques. Websites are also okay.

If you know one, please tell me. Thanks!

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Good books for Recrystalization Techniques
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:01:39 AM »
It depends on what you need to know

This book
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1439860971

Has a comprehensive chapter on the subject of purification. Recrystallisation makes up a part of this.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Hayao

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »
It depends on what you need to know

This book
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1439860971

Has a comprehensive chapter on the subject of purification. Recrystallisation makes up a part of this.

Thanks. Actually I was looking for a different techniques when making single crystals.

I'll be doing Elemental Analysis, Photophysical Measurements, X-Ray analysis.
For the former two, I don't need ultra pure large single crystals, but for X-Ray Crystallography, I need really pure single crystals, which is why I was looking for a recrystallization techniques to see if there are any other techniques other than traditional "wait until solvent evaporates", which takes days.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 07:14:34 AM »
I don't think you will find this information in a book. Re-crystallisation is a skill which comes with practice.
Unfortunately if you want good quality, decent sized crystals from samples which are notoriously hard to crystallise then patients is your only option. The more rapidly you form crystals the smaller they will be.

Depending on your compound hi-vacuum sublimation onto a cold finger is sometimes an extremely useful and often overlooked technique for growing X-Ray quality crystals, from small organic molecules, in a relatively short period of time. Using this technique you don't form solvates either which can be an advantage in some circumstances.

For your information though accurate and useful elemental analysis data is far more reliant on purity of sample being crystallised than single crystal X-Ray.
Unless you have vast amounts of impurity which is going to co-crystallise with your substance then provided you have a relatively pure sample your crystal will be of sufficient quality for X-Ray. Any impurities on the outside of the crystal lattice which are disordered do not interfere with the analysis. I have successfully used samples which have been crystallised from very impure crude mixtures.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:09:51 AM by Archer »
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Sponsored Links