April 27, 2024, 01:57:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Factors Determining Specific Heat Capacity  (Read 3300 times)

Offline b_ng

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Factors Determining Specific Heat Capacity
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »
Hey 1st post on this forum and was hoping to find some help regarding the factors that determine the specific heat capacity of a particular substance, (in my case copper).  Have been surfer the web for a while now but cant really come to any concrete conclusions.  My main two ideas were the substances density, or how many moles per given mass and the intermolecular bonding of the substance. 

1) Density - the denser it is the more moles in a specific area thus it take more energy per given mass to raise the temperature.

2)Intermolecular bonding - temperature is increased by transferring potential energy stored in the bonds to kinetic so the stronger the bonds the more energy required to break these bond.

Btw I've read pretty much all the pages that pop up when I google it so avoid just linking me to one of them unless you can explain them cause I'm not 100% sure on anything at this point.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline b_ng

Re: Factors Determining Specific Heat Capacity
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »
So if I understand the last post correct for most solid the amount of energy required to heat a single mole is constant, thus its specific heat capacity is dependant on the amount of mole in a gram?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
the amount of energy required to heat a single mole

Single mole of atoms - not of molecules of the compound.

And it works only approximately, the simpler the crystal and the less different elements present, the better.

But it gives an interesting insight into how the heat capacity works, and into what happens when we heat a solid.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline b_ng

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
so in terms of metallic solids, in general, as the molar mass goes up would the specific heat capacity go down as an increased molar mass means less moles per a given mass?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
so in terms of metallic solids, in general, as the molar mass goes up would the specific heat capacity go down as an increased molar mass means less moles per a given mass?

Yes, that's the general trend.

Offline b_ng

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
Alright thanks a lot for you *delete me*

Sponsored Links