Chemistry Forums for Students > High School Chemistry Forum

Back to the Basics... [Classification of Matter]

(1/2) > >>

Forumz:
Hello,

Part of our unit was based on Classifying matter.  
Thee following could either be classified as a Substance, Element, Compound, or Mixture.

Air     Gasoline     a Nickle Coin     Sea Water     Stone     Paper     Fresh Water     Wood     Asprin     Water     Iron     Glass     Steam     Steel     Mercury     Ice    Nickel     a Flame  

I have the answers, but only because they have been supplied.  Is there any hints, tips and/or tricks to help classify these in the correct fashion?  Thanks in advance.

mike:
An element you can pretty well pick if it also appears on the periodic table (ie it is made up of only one type of atom) for example iron would be an element. Iron appears on the periodic table and a piece of iron is only made up of iron atoms.

A compound is generally made of two or more things that have been combined to form a new thing. For example water is a compound because it is made up of two hydrogen atoms (element) and an oxygen atom (element). You can see that the atoms that make up water are elements on their own, but when they are joined together they make a new compound (H2O).

A mixture is made up of two or more parts that are mixed together but are not combining to form one new compound. For example salt water could be considered a mixture of two compounds, salt and water. The are mixed to form a salt water but you know that in that mixture are still separate salt molecules and water molecules (ie the salt molecule has not reacted with water it is just mixed with it).

I am not completely sure of what they expect you to classify as a substance as I would call all of these things substances (maybe someone else can have a go at substance)?

arnyk:
One thing that stands out is the flame.  It is certainly a heat element, but really just energy.  "Substance" is a bit ambiguous if you ask me.

Forumz:
SUBSTANCE = SOLUTION!!!!!! :o

My Apologies!!!! :-\ :'(

mike:
OK, so in that case sea water would more likely be a solution  :)

I guess a solution would be considered any mixture that was completely homogenous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version