April 30, 2024, 06:32:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about water/chloroform emulsion  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Cgd1287

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about water/chloroform emulsion
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:02:32 AM »
Hello, I'm new on the forums and tried posting this question in the undergraduate general chemistry sub-forum, but I think it may be more appropriate here.

I'm trying to form a water(DTAB stabilized - Dodecyltrimethylammonium bromide)/chloroform emulsion, 1mL:1mL ratio, and then evaporate off the chloroform to transfer the material in the chloroform phase into DTAB micelles. When working with such a small volume (2mL), what is the best way to evaporate the chloroform? I would try blowing N2 or Ar gas over the solution but with such a small volume I think it would splash everywhere. I'm considering heat treatment in the fume hood or just leaving the vial open in the fume hood and seeing if the chloroform may slowly evaporate off by being exposed to open air.

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
Re: Question about water/chloroform emulsion
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »
Your best bet is to blow an inert gas over it.  Do you not have a needle valve to control the gas pressure?  Just do it slowly. 
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline Cgd1287

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Question about water/chloroform emulsion
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:54:58 AM »
That's what I ended up doing, I used Argon gas delivered via a needle into the vial slowly, evaporated the chloroform after about 45 minutes. Thanks for the advice anyways!

Sponsored Links