April 26, 2024, 11:39:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Homemade acrylic  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Dirk_Diggler

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Homemade acrylic
« on: November 28, 2013, 05:17:29 AM »
Hello

I need some consultations, so I registered here hoping to get some.

I'd like to try and make me some acrilyc at home  ;D

Is it safe enough for me to try it on my own, or do I need a REAL laboratory?
I did something like a  google investigation process, and it looks like I need the Methyl methacrylate monomer + Benzoyl peroxide polimerisation reaction. The MMA apparently has some inhibitor in it usually, but with some excess BP the problem can be solved. I also need a mold, and I saw it can be done using some sort of silicone material. Have to look into it some more.

Now, why would someone want to do that at home?
I want to make me a few solar radiation concentrator Fresnel lenses, and those are really expensive when ordering from China or South Korea, so I thought I might get it MUCH cheaper, and of appropriate size / properties if I make it on my own. PMMA is transparent enough to be used as the material for optical lenses.

The idea is: a) get a fresnel lens from somewhere (an old TV set), b) make the silicone mold, c) make PMMA lenses till the home water heating system is no longer needed  ;D

I have a PhD in Agricultural sciences, so I'm not all that unfamiliar with chemistry and conducting experiments, but I'm no professional.
Would you advise me to try it out or scrap the idea? and did I get the process right?

Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Homemade acrylic
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »
I would begin to say that its not safe for the home user, but a quick Wikipedia check lead me to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28methyl_methacrylate%29#Acrylate_resin_casting

Which seems to say that people often make their own "acrylic" blocks for display purposes.  I'm going to bet such kits are pretty expensive.  Still, you can use them to develop practice, then maybe get in touch with manufacturers for bulk purchases.  If you truly intend to build a monster Fresnel furnace at some point.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
This may be a physics problem.
After looking at the link provided by @Arkcon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28methyl_methacrylate%29#Transparent_glass_substitute
It seems to me that accurately producing the Fresnel lens with the correct optics quality may be an issue.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »
I do wonder if a soft mold of an existing Fresnel lens will retain sufficient resolution for replicating the ridge angles accurately.  I also wonder if the mold won't deform, either immediately or over time, resulting in the same dilemma.  However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  FWIW, casting molds of precision accurately ruled items does work industrially, for example, the making of ruled gratings:http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/gratings/
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »
I don't think it will be a large problem - you don't need very high accuracy of the lens to heat up water, target is quite large. It is not a Hubble ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links