April 19, 2024, 11:53:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: In-depth information on phosphorus allotropes needed  (Read 9810 times)

Limpet Chicken

In-depth information on phosphorus allotropes needed
« on: June 11, 2004, 12:57:02 AM »
Hello, this is my first post here, I'm 17, and an amateur guy very interested in chemistry,
I need some information on the allotropic forms of phosphorus, I've not had much luck on search engines, all I can find is the standard red, white/yellow, black and some scarce info on the violet and scarlet modifications.

Could some kind soul please post some information on the various forms of P including the modifications of red P such as triclinic red, dark red, tetragonal red etc. some info on violet, scarlet P and the brown, and vitreous gray forms?

Of special interest would be on the possible fullerene structured analogues of phosphorus, the neutral P6 molecule, any other unusual allotropes/polymorphs  and in particular the emerald green colored form prepared by shock-cooling white phosphorus vapor from 1200 degrees C down to -200 C.

Syntheses for these allotropes would also be very much appreciated ;D

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:In-depth information on phosphorus allotropes needed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 03:42:50 AM »
JDurg wrote an article on it http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?op=articles;id=16

The other rarer allotropes are typically only of esoteric academic interest, and I doubt they are created in any great amounts. Your best bit is to go to your local university library and check out their Inorganic Chemistry collection. There has to be a huge university by Manchester.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 03:43:32 AM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Limpet Chicken

Re:In-depth information on phosphorus allotropes needed
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 04:04:51 AM »
JDurg's article didn't really tell me anything i already know, not that I am insulting or in any way trying to belittle his excellent writing, it's just that phosphorus is my favourite element, and just because the unusual allotropes AREN'T created in any large amount doesn't mean some of them can't be  ;D  I'm going to try the shock-freezing method as soon as I have the money to aqquire some liquid nitrogen, also I heard tell, though only a passing reference to blue phosphorus  ??? anyone ever hear of this one? I intend to do what's probably the most comprehensive writeup about phosphorus on the web when I can complete my experiments.

Sponsored Links